Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Different Current



CARAMOAN, PHILIPPINES







No one expected I would end up choosing travel photography as my thesis in college, I surprised even myself. I guess what I really needed that time was something fresh and an experience that would change how I view things in this world. The place I went to have an adventure I wouldn't forget is Caramoan, located at Luzon's Bicol region it is one of the Philippine's best beaches to go to. Caramoan was also the location of the hit survival reality TV show "Survivor". Its perfect for the show since Caramoan has a lot of uninhabited islands that the community still wants to keep it the way it is. 

Traveling from Manila to Caramoan has its difficulties since its in a remote area, but you'll immediately forget about how far you've traveled once you get to see how majestic the place is. 


Caramoan's town center is where you can buy your needed supplies like drinking water, food, fire wood if you are camping and other necessities. 


Tricycles are the main transportation in this town, its cheap and it will take you to the main beach (barangay paniman) where all the guest houses and lodgings are plus its where you can rent boats that will take you to the islands.



Umang cave is a must see in Caramoan. There are two ways to get to this cave, one is a 30 minute hike in the plains and up a side of the mountain, the other is a 2 minute boat ride and climbing makeshift stairs from roots of the surrounding trees which takes up about 15 minutes. This cave is a cathedral type of cave. the name "Umang" literally translates to "hermit crab".

Hike going to Umang cave.



A young fisherman fixing his net. Fishing is the the community's number one source of income since Caramoan is facing the pacific ocean.


Freshly caught crab that is going to be sold at the market or sold to restaurants nearby. Tourists can also purchase freshly caught seafood from the fisherman before they are sold in the market, all you have to do is ask around.


Lajos Island, is one of the nearby islands, it takes a 10 minute boat ride to get here. This island is one of the popular ones and it gets crowded during the summer. It has fine white sand beach thats between two limestone islands.


A hidden lagoon is located in an island called "Matukad". To reach this you have to rock climb a height of a 2 story building, its a fun experience and you just have to go for it if you want to see what the locals are calling "the princess of caramoan". A single milkfish is this lagoon's territory and this fish they say is shrouded with mystery and a intriguing story that the locals will tell you. I was really excited to see the fish with my own eyes and the story behind it baffled my curiosity that it encouraged me to rock climb to see it. 






Those living in Caramoan are lovely people, they have a very simple lifestyle and they genuinely care for the land they live in. They all support and want to preserve the islands. The experience was one of the best I've had because for me it felt like I finally let go of my qualms, I had no cellphone reception and I was only connected with nature. These trips make you feel like human again and forget the everyday hassles of the city and technology. I was surrounded with great people that taught me a lot about the place that it never even felt like I was doing it for school so I can graduate, I was just basking in the experience. This trip made me realized that I want to do this for the rest of my life. Travel, live and take photographs of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment